Cross Section of Test System
Specimen Testing Set Up
Susan Placer, a new engineer at AAA Materials Testing Lab, is asked to find
the Poisson's ratio for a new epoxy adhesive. The test method used at the lab
compresses a 1 in cube specimen under compression. The test frame
consists of a 1 in cube hole to place the sample. Then a load is place on the
top surface (see figure). The total deflection of the top surface is monitored.
The test sample is a 1 in cube which is placed into a perfectly fitting frame.
The frame is substantially more stiff than the sample and will not deflect during
What is known:
- Young modulus, E, is 2,000 ksi.
- The frame is much stiffer than the specimen.
- The cube dimension is 1 in on each side.
- At 3,000 lbs, the cube deflects 0.001 in.
- The sides are frictionless.
- There are no gaps when sample is in the frame.