Cantilever Beam Used to Move
Once again, the boss just reviewed your work for the electronic part assembly
system, and he still does not think the tip deflection is correct (it was previously
calculated using the
moment-curvature equation and the
load-deflection). The integration with boundary conditions is too complicated and he wants something easier to understand so he can check the numbers.
Recall, a mechanical assembly system moves sensitive electronic parts from one location to another using a cantilever beam. The beam has two sections as shown in the diagram. The electronic parts will only be located on the extended section of the beam. The deflection of the beam tip is critical in the assembly process.
What is known:
- A solid steel beam supports electronic parts over half of the beam.
- The parts have an average weight of 0.04 N/mm2.
- The steel stiffness, E, is 200 GPa.
- The two beam parts are rigidly connected.
- The beam is attached to the delivery mechanism and the connection can be
assumed to be fixed.