Basic Steel Frame Structure
Center Column Joint at Top
A simple, four bay office building is being considered for additional equipment
storage facility at the construction company where you work. The company would
like to use the steel I-beams currently in storage at the company for
the center columns. The list of available I-beams are given in the table at the left.
What is known:
- Young's modulus, E, is 200 GPa.
- Dead load on the roof is 300 kg/m2.
- Live load on the roof is 250 kg/m2.
- A factor of safety of 2.5 is required for all loads.
- Columns are rigidly fixed to the ground.
- Columns are assumed to be fixed at the top due to the rigid beams.
- Yield stress in compression is 250 MPa.